Here’s an incredible Chicken Shawarma Salad that combines a few of my favorite Middle Eastern flavors – shawarma, hummus and tabbouleh, with a fantastic garlic lemon white sauce and pita chips for a little crunch.
I’ve made this chicken shawarma a few times now. You might have seen it on my recent post about what I eat when I’m not cooking for the blog. I love the spice marinade on this chicken but wasn’t nearly as happy with the garlic sauce I made. It was just not quite right. Then I came across this recipe for a garlic sauce so I gave it a try instead. Man o man was it GOOD! Never going back to my old concoction for this dish again! So garlicky and lemony all whipped up in a thick, creamy sauce.
I recommend using chicken thighs for this chicken shawarma salad. They just taste so much better and never seem to dry out on the grill. Always juicy! Of course, you could just wrap everything up in a big pita or naan bread but then it wouldn’t technically be a salad. You pick, it’s all good!Print
Chicken Shawarma Salad
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you could use breasts if you prefer)
For Shawarma spice marinade:
- 1 Tbls. cumin
- 1 Tbls. coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 3 Tbls. olive oil
For the Garlic Lemon White Sauce:
- 1 C. light flavored olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 C. lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. salt
For the Salad:
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Hummus (homemade or store bought)
- Tabbouleh (I used Near East – a boxed mix, follow directions on box)
- Pita chips
- Combine Shawarma spice marinade ingredients in bowl. Whisk to combine. Add chicken and toss around to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight (longer is better).
- In blender, combine garlic lemon white sauce ingredients and blend until thick and creamy, almost like a thin mayonnaise. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Grill chicken, about 5 minutes each side. Remove from grill. Let sit a bit, then slice chicken into strips.
- Assemble salad: Either on one large platter or individual bowls, arrange lettuce, tabbouleh, hummus and chicken strips. Top with some garlic lemon white sauce and serve with pita chips.