I came across an old pre-school class recipe handout from my youngest son’s pre-school class (back in the early 90’s!). My contribution was this recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, which, according to my comment was his favorite food besides mac and cheese. I thought it was time to whip up a loaf and see what I thought 20+ years later!
I’m not sure where I got this recipe originally. It certainly isn’t an original of mine – although I might have added the chocolate chips and walnuts. I’m not much of a baker so it most likely came off a bag of flour or something like that since there was no such thing as Pinterest back then!
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe makes a delightfully moist, not too dense loaf. The top crust browned nicely and the middle got cooked evenly. I really hate it when I make a quick bread and the middle is a bit undercooked and the crust is hard. I enjoyed way too much of this bread, especially slathered with some butter for breakfast! Next time I would add more chocolate chips however. If you’re a chocolate chip lover like me you might want to increase the amount to at least 3/4 cup.
I know there’s plenty of banana bread recipes floating around the net but here’s one more! This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread doesn’t disappoint. Hey, it was my 4 year old’s favorite so you know it’s gotta be a keeper! If you’re following a plant-based eating plan, check out my veganized version of this recipe here.Print
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 C. flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 C. butter, softened
- 1 C. sugar
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbls. milk
- 1 1/2 C. mashed, ripe bananas (about 3–4 bananas)
- 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
- 1/2 C. chocolate chips (more if you like)
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease a 9x5x2 loaf pan and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time until creamy.
- In separate bowl stir together the dry ingredients.
- Alternate adding mashed bananas and dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Be careful not to over mix!
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and back 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, not wet. Remove to rack and cool.