This Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream really should be called a frozen dessert, not ice cream. There’s not a drop of cream to be found in it. It’s just loaded with bananas, peanut butter and cocoa powder. That’s it, just three ingredients! And for those of you without ice cream makers, no worries, you won’t need one today.
I’ve seen lots of people post “ice cream” recipes made from frozen bananas. I think it might be a Paleo thing (without the peanut butter), or maybe it’s a Vegan thing? I’m not well versed in either of those dietary lifestyles so don’t take my word for it. However, I thought it was time to give it a try and see what all the buzz was about.
My verdict: Soft, creamy and pretty darn tasty! I was surprised how the bananas magically took on a soft serve ice cream texture after spending a few minutes in my food processor! Actually, I shouldn’t have been surprised because I know how creamy bananas make smoothies. I don’t think it will ever replace my favorite Vanilla Ice Cream, or gelato with yummy add ins like the Cherry Chocolate version I made recently. That’s probably because I’m not a huge banana lover and basically this treat is blended up frozen bananas. However, if you love bananas, or can’t tolerate dairy, you will LOVE this trick!!! Since I do enjoy bananas so much more with peanut butter slathered on them, and I love peanut butter with chocolate, I thought I’d like this frozen treat even more if I added peanut butter and chocolate to it.
Yes, that’s the ticket! I mean really, how can you go wrong with bananas, peanut butter and chocolate? Just look at that creamy, yummy goodness…
If you haven’t given the frozen banana “ice cream” thing a try yet, I encourage you to do it soon, preferably with this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream…errr frozen treat! No ice cream maker required and only three ingredients! You will, however, need a strong blender or food processor.
- 4 frozen bananas (save your overripe bananas and freeze them!)
- 2 Tbls. cocoa powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter (I use natural, chunky peanut butter)
- Garnish with shaved chocolate and crushed peanuts, if desired
- In a powerful blender or food processor, add bananas (sliced).
- Process several minutes until smooth and creamy like soft serve ice cream. You will have to scrape down the sides several times during this process.
- Add the cocoa powder and process to blend in.
- Add the peanut butter and process to blend in.
- You can eat right away, the ice cream will be soft serve, or put in container and freeze a while to firm it up more.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate and crushed peanuts if you want. You could also stir shaved chocolate and/or crushed peanuts in the ice cream after it's been processed.
Let me know if you make this Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream. Take a pic and tag me @imboredletsgo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos!