Coconut Thai MarTEAni
For the tea:
- 15 black tea bags
- 7 C. water
- 10 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 Tbls. sugar
- 1 C. water
For the Coconut Milk:
- 1 Can coconut milk (don’t use light)
- 2–4 Tbls. Coconut Palm Sugar (depending how sweet you want it)
For the “Tea-ni”
- 1 shot white Rum (I used Bacardi)
- 1/2 shot Malibu Coconut Rum
- 2 shots prepared ice tea
- 1/2 shot prepared sweetened coconut milk
- Put coconut milk and coconut palm sugar in saucepan, bring to boil while stirring/whisking to combine and melt the coconut sugar. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine star anise, sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Add vanilla bean (scrap the seeds out and add the seeds and bean pod). Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make tea according to package directions. I brought water to a boil, removed from heat, added the tea bags and let it steep for about 3 minutes. Remove tea bags and pour into pitcher. Add syrup (I left the anise and vanilla bean in it and strained it out prior to using the tea) and chill in refrigerator.
- To make the Mar-TEA-ni:
- In cocktail shaker filled with ice, add rums, ice tea and sweetened coconut milk. Shake well, strain into martini glass. Garnish with the vanilla bean and star anise, if desired.