Here’s a deconstructed Egg Roll in a Bowl that my folks and I loved! It’s basically all the good stuff from an egg roll without the deep fried wrapper. Perfect weeknight quick and easy dinner.
This egg roll in a bowl can be easily made plant-based by using your favorite plant based ground (I like Impossible Burger) or for meat eaters I suggest using ground pork or beef. You’ll just need to drain the fat after cooking it up. To make this extra quick and simple, use pre-shredded cabbage and carrots. After the veggies are cooked you just stir in a little yummy sauce and serve…over rice if you like.Print
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 12oz. pkg. Impossible Burger plant based ground or use equivalent of ground pork or ground beef
- 2 C. diced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbls. ginger paste (or use fresh grated ginger)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 green cabbage, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 2 C. shredded carrot (can use a small bag already shredded from store)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- sesame seeds for garnish
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbls. soy sauce
- 1 Tbls. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbls. Hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek (or your favorite chile garlic sauce)
- 1/4 tsp. 5-spice powder
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
Add sauce ingredients to small bowl, whisk and set aside.
Add a tablespoon or so of sesame oil to a large non stick skillet. Brown Impossible burger and mushrooms over medium heat. If using ground pork or ground beef you don’t need the sesame oil if you don’t want. Be sure to drain the fat prior to next step.
Stir in garlic, ginger and pepper and cook another minute or two. Then add the cabbage and carrots. Stir to combine and cook an additional few minutes until the cabbage is tender but still a bit crisp.
Turn off heat and add the sauce, green onions and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional chili sauce if needed (sometimes I like a little more ginger as well).
Serve in a bowl as is or on top of cooked rice or noodles. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.