Today I made a plant based version of Keema Aloo that I really liked and I think you will too!
Keema Aloo is a Pakistani ground meat (keema) and potato (aloo) dish. If you’re not concerned with making this dish vegan/plant based just use regular ground beef. Today I used Gardein’s plant based ground be’f but feel free to use your favorite plant based ground beef alternative. I found this recipe in the Bosh Healthy Vegan cookbook and pretty much stuck to the recipe but cut ingredients in half since I didn’t need more than 2 servings.
I’m eating this Keema Aloo with a small Naan bread that I like to char on my gas stove.Print
- 1/2 lb. little baby yellow potatoes (sliced in half)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Tbls. ginger paste (or use chopped fresh ginger, if desired)
- 1/2 jalapeno (may use Serrano or other green chili)
- small handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 8 oz. plant based ground beef alternative
- 1 14.5. oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 C. frozen peas
- salt & pepper
- vegetable oil for sautéing
- sliced green onion
- Fill pot with salted water and a teaspoon of turmeric along with potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until tender (about 10 minutes depending on size of potatoes). Drain potatoes and set aside.
- In skillet heat a little oil and add onions, a sprinkle of salt and sauté until onions start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Chop the stems of the cilantro and set aside the leaves for the end. Add garlic, jalapeño, cilantro stems and ginger and sauté another minute or two, then add spices and stir to combine and coat. Add plant based beef crumbles and cook about 5 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook over low heat another 5-10 minutes. Then add potatoes and peas, stir and continue to cook until peas have thawed. Stir in chopped cilantro leaves, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, a little more sliced jalapeno, if desired, and serve with naan.