Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1¾ cups sugar
- zest of one large lemon
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2½ cups flour (plus a bit more to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Lemon Glaze
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice (you could use part milk)
- 1 Tbls. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat on low an additional minute after each egg, adding lemon extract with the last egg.
- In a separate large bowl add dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Alternate adding 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the buttermilk at a time to the butter/sugar/lemon zest/egg mixture. Don’t over mix, just combine the ingredients.
- In small bowl, toss the blueberries with a tablespoon or two of flour to coat the blueberries (this helps keep them from sinking to the bottom when baking). Gently fold blueberries into batter.
- Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans.
- Divide batter between the pans and bake for about 50-55 min. Start checking for doneness after 45 minutes.
- Let loaves cool about a half hour, remove from pans. Drizzle glaze over top of loaves.
To make the Lemon Glaze:
- Whisk together glaze ingredients in mixing bowl until smooth.