There’s something very comforting about casseroles to me. I’ll admit I don’t make them as often as I use to because we’re empty nesters and one casserole would last us all week (I do enjoy a little variety in my meals!). But when I do make a casserole, I’ll make something yummy with lots of melted cheese like this Mexican Taco Casserole.
Casseroles are also great to make and freeze for later…like now, while I’m in Australia this entire month. I’ve wrapped a few portions of this taco casserole up for my hubby to eat while I’m gone. Have you noticed all the “big batch” food recipes this month like Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheese and Spaghetti Sauce? That’s because I made them all in September before I left so I’d have recipes to share this month and so my husband could eat while I was gone. How’s that for thinking ahead?
You might remember I made a bunch of homemade tortillas a while back. When I make homemade tortillas, I make a lot. This taco casserole is a great dish to make using up some of those tortillas!
The best thing about this Mexican Taco Casserole is it’s such a versatile dish to make. You can add more ingredients or less, depending on your family’s taste preferences. I had originally planned on adding a can of black beans this time around and after I started assembling the casserole I realized I forgot the beans! Another senior moment! But that’s what’s so great about casseroles…you can add whatever you want. This would also be delicious with sliced black olives, or even corn. If you don’t have a jalapeño, try adding a can of chopped green chiles. Just think of your favorite taco ingredients and add them to it.
But don’t add all your favorite taco ingredients in the casserole. Some are better added on top, after it’s cooked. Sliced avocados, chopped fresh tomatoes, perhaps some green onions…all good choices. Want it a little spicier? Add a couple shakes of your favorite hot sauce. If you like sour cream, add a dollop on your portion. I usually do but didn’t have any sour cream in the fridge this time around. Any way you make it, this Mexican Taco Casserole is comfort food at it’s best.
Make sure you don’t miss anything! Follow I’m Bored, Let’s Go here:Print
Mexican Taco Casserole
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chile powder
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- 3 C. shredded cheddar
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Assorted toppings: diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, green onions, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large skillet, brown turkey with diced onions, garlic, and jalapeño. Season with cumin and chile powder. Add tomatoes and simmer about 10 minutes for flavors to combine. I like to puree one can of tomatoes and keep one can of them diced for some chunks. Add cilantro and stir to combine.
- In large casserole, alternate layers of tortillas, meat mixture, cream cheese and cheddar.
- Bake in oven about 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Top each serving with desired toppings.
- *This recipe isn’t too spicy so I like to add Chipotle Cholula Sauce to spice mine up a bit. If you like spicier food, add your favorite taco sauce on top!