Mushrooms in Creamy Wine Sauce is a fabulous dish to make when you want something just a little more decadent than plain ol’ sautéed mushrooms.
The delightful flavor of this sauce comes from Port wine and fresh basil. It’s such a simple recipe to make. All you have to do is sauté some onions and mushrooms in butter. That’s a great start, right? When that’s all softened up and mushrooms have released their water, add a smidgeon of flour for a thickener (you could omit this if you wanted a thinner sauce) and stir it around a bit. Then add some Port wine (or you could try Marsala) and a little water and fresh chopped basil to make a sauce. Finish it off with some sour cream or greek yogurt, perhaps a few shavings of fresh parmesan and voila! You’ve got yourself a tasty side dish that would be awesome with a good steak! Well, for me a steak…I like mushrooms with steak, but they would be equally fantastic with chicken or fish as well.
As you can see, these mushrooms in creamy wine sauce aren’t drowning in sauce, they’re just nicely coated. Got a beautiful loaf of crusty bread screaming to be dipped into a great sauce? Simple enough, just double the sauce ingredients and there should be plenty of deliciousness to sop up!Print
Mushrooms in Creamy Wine Sauce
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
- 1 lb. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 4 Tbls. butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 Tbls. flour
- 1/4 C. water
- 2 Tbls. Port wine
- Handful of chopped basil (about 1/2 C.)
- 1/4 C. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In large saute pan, heat butter. Add onions and sauté until golden.
- Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are soft and release their water.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir to combine and cook the flour for about a minute.
- Add water, Port wine and basil. Stir to combine and thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream or yogurt until well combined. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with additional fresh chopped basil, if desired.
*I topped this dish off with a few shavings of Pecorino Romano cheese as well. It was good.