These Quinoa, Black Bean & Corn Stuffed Bell Peppers are really easy to prepare and full of Mexican/Southwestern inspired flavor. I used quinoa today for a bump in protein but rice, another grain or even cauliflower rice would work just as well.
I like to make a batch of my Mexican Seasoning Blend to have on hand and used it today for the seasoning of the pepper stuffing. You can also use your favorite taco seasoning if you prefer. This recipe is easily vegan adaptable, if desired. Simply swap out the cream cheese and any additional cheese topping sprinkled on top with your favorite plant based substitute.Print
Quinoa, Black Bean & Corn Stuffed Bell Peppers
6 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
3 C. cooked quinoa*
1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (I like fire-roasted)
2 C. frozen corn (or use fresh if you like)
2 Tbls. Mexican seasoning
1 Tbls. Nutritional yeast (opt.)
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
sliced green onions
grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cut peppers in half and remove seeds and viens. Set aside.
- Prepare quinoa, drain excess liquid and add to large bowl.
- Add black beans, corn, tomatoes, Mexican spice, nutritional yeast and cream cheese to quinoa. Mix well.
- Stuff each pepper half, arrange in lightly greased baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes covered. Uncover, continue bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
*Prepare quinoa according to package directions – I like to use broth instead of water for more flavor. You could also use rice or even cauliflower rice if you want.