I wanted to come up with a taco recipe that was just a bit out of the ordinary but simple. I was having a craving for some curry so I came up with these Salmon Tacos with Thai Curry Sauce. They turned out awesome!
For the salmon I used a fillet that came individually frozen in a bag from Costco. If you’re feeding more people, you can certainly use a large salmon fillet. I seasoned the salmon with just a little salt and pepper, then grilled it on my little George Foreman grill (which is perfect for this, btw). Feel free to prepare the salmon however you want…baked or grilled, it’s all good.
I made a quick cabbage slaw with some shredded cabbage and herbs and a light Thai flavored vinaigrette. And for the curry, I used a panang curry paste with coconut milk, a little palm sugar, and fish sauce. You can use red curry paste if you’d like. I think it’s a bit hotter. Then just wrap it all up in a small flour tortilla and tacos are done.
The recipe for the slaw and curry sauce makes enough for a several tacos, I’m guessing probably about six. If you need more slaw, just shred some more cabbage. The curry sauce makes probably about a cup and a half or so – sorry, I forgot to measure, I was just so hungry and excited to eat!
If you’re looking for some variety in your tacos, give these Salmon Tacos with Thai Curry Sauce a try. They’re really fantastic!Print
Salmon Tacos with Thai Curry Sauce
Here’s a twist for your Taco Tuesday…Unique and Delicious!
- Salmon fillet (I used one prepackaged fillet for two tacos and had a little bit left, make as much salmon as you need)
- Small Flour Tortillas, one per taco
For the curry:
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbls. Panang or Red Curry Paste
- 1 Tbls. palm sugar*
- 1 Tbls. fish sauce
For the slaw:
- 1 1/2 C. shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 C. shredded red cabbage
- 1 sliced green onion
- 1/4 C. chopped mint
- 1/4 C. chopped basil
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced, zested
- 1 Tbls. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. palm sugar*
- 1/8 tsp. red chili paste (you could use red pepper flakes)
- Prepare curry: Combine coconut milk, curry paste, palm sugar and fish sauce in saucepan. Stir well and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to reduce sauce and thicken a bit. Set aside.
- Prepare slaw: add shredded cabbage, green onion and chopped herbs in bowl. Combine lime juice, zest, fish sauce, palm sugar and red chili paste and drizzle over cabbage. Toss well and set aside.
- Grill or bake salmon. Heat tortilla, add salmon (break into a few pieces to fit in tortilla), some slaw and drizzle curry sauce on top.
*Substitute white or brown sugar for palm sugar if necessary. And taste for correct sweetness. Need a little more salt, add more fish sauce, need a little more heat, add a bit more curry or red chili pepper.