Do we all need a little break today from the 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails? I know I do! How about some dessert today? These cute little individual Salted Caramel Apple Pies are so easy to make hard to not eat just one!
I saw on Pinterest little individual pies like these. and thought they looked so tasty, I knew I had to give them a try. Salted caramel and apples is such a yummy combination. By combining those delicious flavors into little mini hand held pies is brilliant. Perfect for portion control, but only if you east just one. I must admit, I had more than one!
I used store-bought pie crust that comes in a box but if you want to make homemade pie crust go right ahead. Don’t worry if you think you need more than one apple, you don’t. One box of crust made 8 hand pies and left me with some extra filling. I probably could have rerolled the leftover pie crust scraps and gotten a couple more pies out of it, and there was certainly enough leftover filling, but I was lazy and didn’t feel like it. After all, there’s only two of us at home and neither one of us needs to be eating that many mini pies!
And just to make it extra caramel-ly, I drizzled some caramel sauce on top of these Salted Caramel Apple Pies. If you do that, have a napkin handy when you’re eating them cuz they get a bit messier, but well worth it!
Salted Caramel Apple Pies
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 6 store-bought caramels, diced into about 4 pieces each
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sugar in the raw for dusting on top
- Optional: Caramel syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, flour, sugar, and cinnamon and diced caramels. Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix egg with water and set aside.
- Unroll pie crusts. Using a circular cookie cutter or glass, cut out as many circles as you can. I used a glass that was 3 1/4″ wide and got 8 circles per sheet of dough. If you want to roll out the pie dough scraps you could probably get a few more circles cut out.
- Place half of the crusts on cookie sheet. Top each pie crust circle with a spoonful of the apple/caramel mixture. Make sure each piece has about 4 or more caramel pieces on it. Sprinkle each with a bit of sea salt. Top each pie with another pie crust circle. Use the tines of a fork to press the edges of the crusts together to seal the top crust to the bottom. Make an X on top with a small knife to slice vents on each pie.
- Brush the tops of each pie with a bit of the egg mixture then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in until golden, about 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Store pies in airtight container.
- Optional: Drizzle some of your favorite caramel sauce over each pie for extra caramel goodness!