Time to spice things up a bit around here and put a Mexican spin on Day 7 of the 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails with this Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate.
Maybe you’ve wondered (or maybe not) why none of my 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails photos look very Christmas-y (this one included). Well, I have a very good reason for that. I’ll be in Cabo for the holidays and I’m not decorating this year! Actually, come to think of it, I didn’t decorate last year either since we had just moved to NYC. Any holiday decorations I have are still in storage and I have no desire to buy more STUFF! It’s very liberating not “having” to do all that work. No presents to buy for family members (hello Cabo, here we come instead).
For today’s yummy hot chocolate I took the easy way out and used a packet of Starbucks double chocolate hot chocolate mix (very good, btw). Go ahead and make homemade hot chocolate if you have a recipe you like and use often. Add a little cinnamon and a hefty pinch of cayenne pepper to the hot chocolate for a little spice. And, since this is a Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate of course it called for some booze. Mexican booze, like Tequila. I enjoy Patron so I used that. Use your favorite tequila, but I would recommend a white (silver) one.
Top your mug of spiked Mexican hot chocolate with a healthy dollop (or squirt from a can) of whipped cream, then sprinkle a little more cayenne pepper on top. I even grated a chocolate chip over the top. Which got me to thinking about adding even more chocolate. I couldn’t help myself, it’s the holidays, so I drizzled more chocolate sauce on top! Why not? Diets start on January 1st!Print
Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1 shot tequila (use a clear one – I used Patron)
- 1 – 1 1/2 C. of your favorite hot chocolate*
- big pinch of cinnamon
- big pinch of cayenne pepper
- Whipped Cream for topping
- Opt: grated chocolate or chocolate syrup
- Prepare hot chocolate, add cinnamon and cayenne pepper and stir well to combine.
- In large mug, add shot of tequila, fill with hot chocolate and stir.
- Top your mug off with some whipped cream, a sprinkle of additional cayenne pepper, some shaved or grated chocolate, or chocolate syrup as desired.
* use as much hot chocolate as needed to fill your mug. Use homemade or a packet of a good hot chocolate mix. I like dark hot chocolate.