This Steak Mushrooms & Onions with Sour Cream Sauce is basically my lightened up version of a typical Beef Stroganoff.
I wanted to make a beef stroganoff that didn’t use any canned soup (looking at you cream of mushroom) or too much sour cream. Something a little fresher, lighter tasting. I simply stir-fried the basic ingredients of beef stroganoff…steak, mushrooms and onions with some garlic and smoked paprika. Then I made a sour cream sauce with a little white wine that I poured over the top. This way I could control the amount of sauce I wanted. I typically like less sauce/dressing on my food…hubby likes much more!
This Steak Mushroom & Onions with Sour Cream Sauce recipe is really quite easy to make and doesn’t take too much time to prepare. Probably the most time-consuming step is slicing up the steak and veggies (you could even use a box of pre-sliced mushrooms to save a little time if you wanted). It’s a perfect meal to throw together when you’re pinched for time on those busy week nights.
- 1 tbls. olive oil
- 3 tbls. butter, divided
- 1 lb. flank steak, cut in small cubes or slices
- 1 lb. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lg. onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bag egg noodles
- ½ C, white wine
- 1 C. beef or chicken broth
- ¾ C. sour cream
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- Cook noodles according to package directions. When finished cooking, drain and toss in 2 tablespoons butter to coat the noodles. Keep warm.
- Season steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat large skillet (you could also use a wok), add olive oil and 1 tbls. butter. Add steak and cook until browned (stir a little while cooking), about 5 minutes (depending on how big your steak pieces are). Remove steak and set aside. In same pan, add onions, mushrooms, garlic and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions and mushrooms are soft and browned, and juices have evaporated (about 5-8 minutes). Return steak to pan with any of its juices. Stir to combine. Add parsley. Put steak/mushrooms/onions in serving bowl and keep warm while making the sour cream sauce.
- Make the sour cream sauce:
- Add white wine to pan to deglaze pan. Add broth. Stir well and cook over medium heat to reduce a bit. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I added a little more smoked paprika as well).
- To serve, place buttered noodles on a plate, top with some steak, mushrooms and onions. Drizzle sour cream sauce on top of each serving. Garnish with additional chopped parsley and additional salt & pepper if desired.