One of my favorite Thai noodle dishes is Pad Thai. I love the salty-sweet-sour-spicy combination that’s typical of Thai food and highlighted nicely in this dish. This Tofu Pad Thai is simple to make, perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
Traditional Pad Thai has scrambled egg in it but I don’t think this vegan version misses it at all. I used brown rice noodles today but feel free to substitute regular rice noodles if you want, they’re just as delicious.
Tofu Pad Thai
8 oz. pkg. rice noodles (I used brown rice noodles)
2 Tbls. Sesame oil
For the Tofu:
1 block firm/extra firm tofu
2 Tbls. soy sauce
1 Tbls. rice vinegar
1 Tbls. cornstarch
For the Sauce:
3 Tbls. Tamarind
3 Tbls. sugar
3 Tbls. palm sugar
3 Tbls. fish sauce (use vegan if desired, or soy sauce)
1 tsp. garlic chile paste
2–3 Tbls. water (opt. – If sauce needs to be thinned out)
1 carrot, cut in thin strips
1 red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
Any other veggies you want to add*
1 C. bean sprouts
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 C. chopped peanuts
1 lime, sliced
- Prepare noodles according to package directions, set aside.
- Press water out of tofu and cut into cubes. Put cubes in small bowl or ziploc bag and toss with soy sauce and rice vinegar. Set aside to marinate while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in small bowl and set aside. I like to heat this up for about 30. seconds in microwave to melt the sugars better. Taste sauce and adjust if needed (too sour? Add more sugar. Need more saltiness? Add more fish sauce, etc.)
- Cut up carrot and red bell pepper into matchstick size pieces. Cut up any other vegetables you want to add in similar sized pieces.
- Prepare the toppings: Slice green onions, chops some cilantro, slice a lime, and rough chop the peanuts. Set aside
- In wok, heat sesame oil. Toss the tofu with cornstarch. Fry the tofu until browned on all sides. Alternatively, you can cook the tofu in an air fryer. Remove and set aside.
- In wok, heat a little more sesame oil and quickly stir fry veggies (carrots, red bell pepper and any other vegetables you are using).
- Add tofu, noodles and sauce. Toss to combine.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, bean sprouts, cilantro and peanuts.
- Serve with additional slices of lime.
*I added some thinly sliced red cabbage. Broccoli, asparagus, zucchini would be good as well.