Do you have a few side dishes that grace your Thanksgiving table every year just because it’s tradition? My family sure does, and this Cranberry Jello Mold is one of them. While my oldest son insists on the Spinach Mushroom Casserole as his side dish pick for Thanksgiving, my youngest son’s favorite Thanksgiving dish is this Cranberry Jello Mold. Without Nana’s Cranberry Jello Mold, it’s just not Thanksgiving to him. And even though he is in Australia this year and won’t be home for the holidays, we are still having it, it’s tradition!
My kids (who are now grown adults) call this “Nana’s Cranberry Jello Mold” because it comes from their grandmother and you could bet your life that not a Thanksgiving would go by that this wasn’t on the table at her house. For all the years I was married and had Thanksgiving dinner there this jello has been on the menu. Even if I try to step out of the box and make some other cranberry side dish recipe, we still have this one as well.
Thanksgiving Favorites: Nana’s Cranberry Jello Mold. It’s what’s on the menu this year…again (and nobody’s complaining!).Print
Thanksgiving Favorites: Nana’s Cranberry Jello Mold
- 1 pkg. fresh cranberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
- 2 C. water
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 6oz. pkg. cherry jello
- 1 C. boiling water
- 1 15oz. can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 1 C. chopped celery
- 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
- Opt. zest from 1 orange
- Combine 2 cups water and sugar, boil 5 minutes, then add cranberries and zest (if using). Continue cooking until they’ve all popped. Set aside.
- Dissolve jello in 1 cup boiling water.
- In bowl, combine all ingredients and stir to combine. Pour in jello mold (spray with Pam first). Chill to set.