Do you have a few side dishes that grace your Thanksgiving table every year just because it’s tradition? My family sure does, and this Cranberry Jello Salad is one of them.
My kids (who are now grown adults) call this “Nana’s Cranberry Jello Mold” because it comes from their grandmother and she always made it in a bundt cake pan. You could bet your life that not a Thanksgiving would go by that this wasn’t on the table at her house. For all the years I was married and had Thanksgiving dinner there this cranberry jello salad has been on the menu. Even if I try to step out of the box and make some other cranberry side dish recipe, we’d still have this one as well.
Thanksgiving Favorites: Nana’s Cranberry Jello Salad. It’s what’s on the menu this year…again (and nobody’s complaining!).Print
Cranberry Jello Salad
- 1 pkg. fresh cranberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
- 2 C. water
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 6oz. pkg. cherry jello
- 1 C. boiling water
- 1 15oz. can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 1 C. chopped celery
- 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
- Opt. zest from 1 orange
- Combine 2 cups water and sugar, boil 5 minutes, then add cranberries and zest (if using). Continue cooking until they’ve all popped. Set aside.
- Dissolve jello in 1 cup boiling water.
- In bowl, combine all ingredients and stir to combine. Pour in jello mold (spray with Pam first). Chill to set.