YUM! Who doesn’t love loaded baked potatoes? All that cheesy, bacony goodness can’t be beat. I know I love them, and I love these Loaded Chipotle Potatoes just as much (okay, maybe even a little bit more).
I had a bag of baby red potatoes sitting around the kitchen for quite a while. Can’t even remember why I bought them in the first place, but it was time to use them up. I was really in the mood for something with melted cheese…like nachos or a quesadilla! Unfortunately, I didn’t have any tortilla chips or tortillas, but I did have those potatoes! Potatoes with cheese…sounded like a perfect dinner to me. When hubby’s gone I eat the weirdest things. Rarely ever a well-balanced meal.
I cut the potatoes up, tossed them with a little olive oil and decided to spice them up a bit by adding some chipotle powder and roasted them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, until they were done. As I was pulling out the cheese and sour cream, I spied some bacon in the fridge. HELLO bacon, my friend! I immediately went to work frying up some bacon. And heck, while I’m at it, let me just slice up some green onions as well. So what originally started out as just some roasted potatoes that I thought I’d sprinkle some cheese on, now ended up as full blown loaded chipotle potatoes. I love it when unplanned things turn out so nicely, don’t you?
Okay, so I know this may not look like the prettiest dish around. Those blobs of sour cream don’t do it justice. But it was really tasty. If you’re a fan of chipotle like I am, I think you’ll really like it here. Makes this dish a little extra special.
- 1 small bag baby red potatoes
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil to coat potatoes
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 C. grated cheese (I used cheddar and Monterey jack)
- ¼ C. sour cream
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut potatoes in half or quartered, and place in baking pan or baking sheet. Toss potatoes with olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and chipotle powder. Roast for about 15-20 minutes, until tender and crispy. Turn potatoes a few times while cooking to cook all sides.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon, drain on paper towel, dice into bite sized pieces.
- When potatoes are done, toss with bacon and cheese and heat in oven until cheese melts.
- Top with sour cream and sliced green onions.