I’m not much of a baker. Proof of that fact is it took me three tries to get a blueberry lemon treat I really liked. These Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops encompass all the best aspects of my first two failures into one successful baking day in the kitchen.
My first failure was a blueberry lemon sour cream coffee cake with a crumb topping. Actually, it was really delicious, but I didn’t put in enough blueberries and I found myself picking off the topping and throwing the rest out. Maybe I’ll play around with that recipe and share it later. In the meantime, I had the brilliant idea of making the recipe again, but baking it as muffin tops. After all, that’s the best part of a muffin, right? Well, failure number two…it didn’t turn out so well. The first batch I completely forgot to put the crumb topping on…and that was the whole point of making them! To top it off, I didn’t remember how I made the crumb topping and this time around it all sort of just melted into the tops and were a bit mushy. I’m guessing there was too much butter.
But I will not be defeated. I absolutely love the blueberry lemon combination and I was determined to get something baked with that flavor combination! So I went back to a basic muffin recipe, the one that turned so out well for my Double Berry Muffins with Raspberry Glaze, and just adapted it for blueberries and lemon. I used my muffin top pan (if you love muffin tops, this pan is a must have) since what I really wanted was the muffin top and not the bottom boring half of the muffin. I almost forgot to sprinkle on the crumb topping again, can you believe it? Senior moments! But in the end they turned out really tasty and I was very happy. And my friends and neighbors were very happy too! They loved them as much as I did.
Do you have many baking failures in the kitchen or am I the only one? If I can have success with these Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops so can you!
Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops
The best part of a muffin is the MUFFIN TOP! These crumb topped, lemon glazed, blueberry muffin tops are fantastic!
- Yield: 12 muffin tops 1x
For the muffin tops
- 2 1/2 C. flour
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- zest from one lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
For the crumb topping
- 1/4 C. flour
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 Tbls. butter (soft)
For the glaze
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin top pan with Pam.
- In small bowl, combine crumb ingredients with fork or pastry cutter until crumbly looking. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest.
- In separate bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Combine buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Don’t over mix. Gently stir in blueberries.
- Fill prepared muffin top pan just to edge (don’t fill too full). Top each muffin with some crumb topping. Bake about 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool.
- Make lemon glaze by whisking lemon juice into powdered sugar, then drizzle glaze over muffin tops.