Whenever I have leftover rotisserie chicken I like to cut it up and make a chicken salad sandwich the next day for lunch. This Chicken Salad with Curry Dressing is kind of like my chicken salad sandwich, only deconstructed!
Typically when I make a chicken salad sandwich I like to put celery, scallions, some sort of nut (almonds, pecans, or walnuts) and some sort of fruit like raisins, grapes, or apples in it. It’s pretty flexible and usually depends on what I have on hand. Then I mix it all up with a good heaping scoop of mayonnaise and some curry powder. Well today, I decided to try something a little different. Instead of a sandwich, I wanted to try a salad with all those flavors I love.
I didn’t have any leftover rotisserie chicken but I had a couple chicken breasts so I marinated them in the curry dressing for a bit, then grilled them on my grill pan. Alternatively, you could just season your chicken with a little salt and pepper and toss it on the grill pan if you like. The rest of the salad is just the same ingredients. Today I used celery, grapes, scallions and pecans. For the salad dressing, I made a yogurt based curry dressing. Man, is it super delicious! It’s got the great spicy, curry flavor but sweetened a little bit by the chutney for a great balance of the two. Instead of mayonnaise, I decided to use plain yogurt and save some calories. You could use mayonnaise if you want, but it might need to be thinned down a bit (with water?). I didn’t try it that way so I’m not sure, I’m just guessing. I thought yogurt would be a lighter, thinner base for this salad dressing and I really liked it.
There’s enough of this Chicken Salad with Curry Dressing to make a couple meal sized portions. Just alter the amounts of each ingredient you need depending on how many people your feeding. The curry dressing makes a lot and you will most likely have plenty leftover.
- 1 C. plain yogurt
- 2 Tbls. white wine vinegar
- 2.5 Tbls. Chutney (I used Major Grey)
- 1.5 Tbls. curry powder
- Greens of your choice (kale, spinach, mixed greens, romain, etc.)
- 2 chicken breasts
- ¼ C. grapes, sliced in half
- ¼ C. pecan halves
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- Combine dressing ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. (Or put in small bowl and whisk well) Set aside or refrigerate if not using right away.
- Put chicken breasts in a ziploc bag and marinate in some of the curry dressing for about a half hour or so, if desired. Grill chicken on grill pan. Alternatively, you could use any leftover chicken you may have.
- Dice chicken into big chunks.
- In large bowl, toss together the greens, chicken pieces, grapes, pecans, celery and scallions.
- Top the salad with as much curry dressing as you like on your salads.