Chipotle Shrimp Jicama Tacos with Mango Salsa and Avocado Crema is certainly a mouthful to say…and a delicious mouthful at that! I really couldn’t come up with a simpler name that would express all the goodness going on in these little tacos! I made them over the weekend and we devoured them. If you’re not a shrimp lover like me, substitute your favorite fish or even chicken.
And guess what? They’re lower carb and gluten free (for those of you who care). I swapped out the tortillas with thinly sliced jicama! I wish I could say I came up with that idea all by myself but I didn’t. I was at PF Changs not too long ago and they have Jicama Lobster Tacos on the menu which were FANTASTIC!
This weekend we were grilling shrimp. Yes grilling, you read that right! If you’ve followed along for a while you know we’ve been apartment dwelling and sorely miss our BBQ grill. Well, we couldn’t stand it any longer and bought ourselves an electric grill. I know, it’s not a REAL grill, but it’s as close as we can get until we move into a house so it’ll have to do for now. Frankly, I’m not that motivated to move cuz look at what I get to wake up to every morning…
Ok, back to these tacos. I kept it simple with a little chipotle marinade for the shrimp, then tossed up some fresh mango salsa, and made a yummy, thick, avocado crema to hold it all together. Instead of wrapping them in tortillas, which you most certainly could do, I decided to copy PF Changs and thinly slice some jicama and use it for the wrap instead.
A word about the jicama…it needs to be sliced very thin! I used my mandoline (affiliate link) to get thin slices. I thought soaking them in water would make them more pliable, but found they still cracked. However, after about 30 seconds in the microwave they were soft and perfect. So that’s the secret…ZAP ‘EM!
I absolutely loved these Chipotle Shrimp Jicama Tacos with Mango Salsa and Avocado Crema. They were so fresh, tasty and I’d say pretty healthy to boot! Don’t let the jicama scare you off, use tortillas if you must. Give them a try and let me know what you think.Print
Chipotle Grilled Shrimp Tacos, Mango Salsa, Avocado Crema
- 1 large jicama, peeled, sliced very thin
For the Shrimp
- 1 lb. large shrimp, shelled, deviened
- 1 Tbls. chipotle puree*
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- 1 tbls. lime juice
For the Mango Salsa
- 2 mangos, diced (could use a 2 cups of frozen mango chunks)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and deveined, finely diced
- 1/2 C. chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- pinch of salt
For the Avocado Crema
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted
- 1/2 C. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbls. lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. agave (opt.)
- 3 shakes of green Tobasco sauce
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro
- Combine the salsa ingredients in bowl and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Combine avocado crema ingredients in food processor or blender. Blend to combine well. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Transfer to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and store until ready to use.
- Very thinly slice the jicama. Put in bowl covered with water. Set aside until ready to eat.
- Combine shrimp, chipotle puree, cumin, agave and lime juice in bowl. Let shrimp marinate while heating the grill.
- Skewer shrimp, then cook on grill. Takes just a couple minutes each side…don’t overcook them.
- When ready to serve, remove the jicama from the water. Spread out on a plate and microwave for about 30 seconds to soften them (can do a few slices at a time). Use two slices per taco, top with avocado crema, a couple shrimps and a spoonful of mango salsa.
*I like to puree an entire can of chipotles in adobo, then use the puree. You can freeze extra in tablespoon size portions for later use. Or, just chop up one chipotle with some of the adobo sauce for this recipe. You could also substitute some chipotle chile powder if needed.
Feel free to substitute regular tortillas if desired!
You most likely won’t use up all the mango salsa and avocado crema, store it in the refrigerator. I love the avocado crema on sandwiches and wraps!
Like this recipe? Pin it for later: