The mornings have been chilly here in Arizona so I took full advantage of feeling cozy and made a pot of this Creamy Mushroom Soup!
I found a recipe online for Hungarian Mushroom Soup from The Modern Proper and thought it sounded really good so I gave it a try. I modified it ever so slightly to accommodate what I already had in the house. This soup turned out so delicious and beats any of the canned cream of mushroom soups hands down. Creamy Mushroom Soup is easy to adapt as a plant based, vegan soup by using vegetable stock and your favorite vegan dairy substitutes. Be sure to have some crusty bread for dipping!Print
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 4 Tbls. butter
- 1 lg. yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 C. chicken stock
- 1/2 C. Marsala wine
- 2 tsp. dried dill
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme (could substitute dried)
- 2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 C. whole milk*
- 3 Tbls. flour
- 1/4 C. plain full fat greek yogurt (or sub sour cream)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Garnish with chopped parsley and fresh thyme
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, cook onions, mushrooms and garlic in butter over medium heat until softened.
- Add dill, thyme, paprika, salt, stock, wine and simmer soup, uncovered, for a half hour.
- In small bowl whisk together flour and milk, then whisk into soup. Cook until soup thickens 5-10 more minutes. Lower heat and stir in yogurt and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Top soup with chopped parsley and thyme… dunk crusty bread in soup and enjoy!
*I only had half & half and used that… yummy!