Shaved Asparagus Salad with Asian Dressing
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Asian
For the Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tsp. chili paste
- 1 Tbls. honey (or agave nectar)
- 1 Tbls. rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbls. grape seed oil (or other neutral oil)
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch thick stalk asparagus, ends trimmed, tops reserved, and stalks peeled into ribbons
- 2 C. thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 C. roughly chopped mint
- 1/3 C. peanuts, roughly chopped (I used dry roasted peanuts)
- Make the Dressing: In small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients in small jar with lid. Shake well to combine.
- Make the Salad: Toss the peeled asparagus ribbons, cabbage, green onions, and mint in medium bowl to combine. Just prior to serving, pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Garnish with chopped peanuts and additional mint (if desired).
- Optional: Blanch the reserved asparagus tops in a pot of boiling water for a couple minutes. Drain and stop the cooking by tossing them in a bowl of ice water. Once chilled, drain and add to salad.