This Southwestern inspired Tater Tot Breakfast Bake is a delicious plant based breakfast casserole full of veggies and big on flavor.
For Mother’s Day this past year I made a Monte Cristo Brunch Casserole for my non-vegan, meat loving family and wanted a vegan friendly, plant based option for me that I could bake along with the other dish. So I made this breakfast casserole and used vegan breakfast sausage for the “meat”. This time around I decided to spice it up a bit and used some jalapeno and corn for more of a Southwestern twist and topped it with a delicious avocado cilantro sauce and chopped tomatoes (Pico de Gallo would be good but I didn’t have any).
The nice thing about this plant based Tater Tot Breakfast Bake is you can make it up ahead of time and keep in refrigerator until ready to bake!Print
Tater Tot Breakfast Bake (Plant Based)
- 2 Tbls. Olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I like red, yellow or orange)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (devein and seeded, if you want less spice)
- salt & pepper, to taste (about 1/2 tsp. each)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 C. fresh or frozen corn
- 1 14oz. pkg. vegan sausage
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese or shredded cheese
- 2 C. baby spinach
- 12 oz. container Just Egg
- 1 bag frozen tater tots (you won’t need the entire bag)
- Chopped Cilantro
- Avocado Cilantro Sauce or Diced Avocado
- Diced Tomato or Pico de Gallo
- Lime wedges
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, hefty pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, liquid smoke, and corn. Stir to combine and heat through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon oil in same pan. Add vegan sausage, break apart to crumble and cook until browned. Return the veggies to the same pan with sausage and stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese and spinach and stir so spinach wilts a bit.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread sausage/veggie mixture in baking dish. Pour vegan eggs over mixture. Top with tater tots to cover.
- Bake 375 degrees, uncovered, for about 40 minutes until the vegan eggs are set and tater tots are crispy. Remove from oven, let sit for about 10 minutes, top with chopped cilantro, avocado sauce (or diced avocado), diced tomatoes (or Pico de Gallo), if using, and serve with lime wedge.
You can make this ahead of time and store in refrigerator, covered, until ready to bake.