We really enjoyed these Shawarma Cauliflower Steaks with Two Sauces! The white sauce is a Lebanese inspired garlic sauce and the green sauce is an avocado, parsley, cilantro sauce. So, so yummy!
I love my Chicken Shawarma recipe and wanted to make a plant based version. I also wanted to make cauliflower steaks for some time now so this was a great opportunity to combine them both into one meal. #winning
Today I served it up with some tabbouleh, my favorite homemade hummus and naan. Really delicious and satisfying!Print
Shawarma Cauliflower Steaks with Two Sauces
- 1 lg. head cauliflower
- Olive oil (to drizzle over cauliflower prior to roasting)
For the Shawarma Spice Mix:
- 1 Tbls. cumin
- 1 Tbls. coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the White Sauce
- 1 C. neutral flavored oil
- 1 sm. lemon, juiced (about 2 Tbls.)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 C. aquafaba* (or substitute 1 egg white, if desired)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. salt
For the Green Sauce
- 1/2 C. parsley
- 1/2 C. cilantro
- 1 jalapeno (seeded, deveined, if desired for less spice)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 lg. lime, zested, juiced
- 1 Tbls. sweetener of choice (maple syrup, agave, honey, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- water, as needed for desired consistency
Optional to Serve with Cauliflower:
- Tabbouleh (I add tomatoes/cucumbers to Near East brand Tabbouleh)
- Naan or Pita bread
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine spice mixture spices in small bowl, set aside.
- Prepare tabbouleh (if using) as directed on package and set aside. Make hummus or use store bought (if using). Set both aside until ready to serve.
- Slice cauliflower into steaks, being sure to keep the core attached. You will probably only be able to get 2-3 slices out of one head of cauliflower. Go ahead and cook the florets as well, you just won’t have a “steak” but they’re still good!
- Place cauliflower on lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and coat each side with spice mixture (you will have leftover spice mixture for another time). Roast cauliflower for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until browned.
- While cauliflower is roasting, prepare sauces. White Sauce: combine white sauce ingredients except oil in cup or jar. Slowly pour in oil while blending with an immersion blender (works best with immersion blender) until thick and creamy, will take 1-2 minutes. Green Sauce: Combine green sauce ingredients in blender (I use my Nutribullet) and blend, adding water if necessary to get desired consistency. I like the sauces to be like a thick salad dressing consistency.
- To serve, top with cauliflower with a drizzle of some white sauce and green sauce. Serve with naan or pita, tabbouleh and hummus, if desired.
*Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas. I haven’t tried this recipe with any other sort of egg white replacement.