It’s that time of year again. The time when just about every recipe showing up on Pinterest has pumpkin in it! If you’re a pumpkin lover, I’m guessing you love this time of year. I don’t mind pumpkin, I just don’t seem to go gaga over it like many people do. However, I thought I better jump on the bandwagon and try out a pumpkin recipe at least once this fall.
I found this Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo recipe in the Gardner’s Community Cookbook submitted by Mimi Findlay. It sounded delicious and pretty simple to make. The recipe originally called for cooking fresh pumpkin or other winter squash which I’m sure would be fantastic. But I took the easy way out and used a can of pumpkin. The flavor of this dish was very subtle and I’m not sure if using fresh pumpkin would have upped the pumpkin flavor or not. This was also the first time I cooked with fresh sage and it was really good!
If you get tired of all the sweet pumpkin recipes this fall, I encourage you to give your pumpkin a savory spin and try this Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce recipe. It’s really delicious!Print
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
Original recipe from Gardner’s Community Cookbook
- 1 15oz. can pumpkin (be sure it’s plain pumpkin, not the kind for pumpkin pie)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise, sliced thin (and washed!)
- 1/2 C. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 C. heavy cream
- 1/2 C. white wine
- 1 Tbls. lemon juice
- 1/2 C. cream cheese
- 2 Tbls. finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbls. brandy
- 1 lb. cheese tortellini or ravioli (cooked according to package directions)
- 1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese
- In large pot or saucepan, melt butter, add shallots and leeks and sauté until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in broth, cream, wine and lemon juice. Bring to boil, continue whisking, 2-3 minutes to slightly thicken.
- Add cream cheese, sage, thyme, nutmeg, pepper, salt, brandy and pumpkin puree. Bring to boil, whisk to smooth sauce, then remove from heat.
- Add cooked pasta, toss gently to mix. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
*Optional: 1/4 C. toasted, chopped, hazelnuts to add as garnish