I love these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. This is my favorite recipe that I’ve been making since I was in high school (and that was many moons ago). I’ve tried a few different recipes throughout the years but this one, in my opinion, is the best and the one I always go back to. It’s the classic oatmeal cookie recipe from Quaker Oats. Sometimes it’s best to just stick with the original!
When I was a teen living at home with my parents I’d have to double the recipe because we always had a debate about putting raisins or chocolate chips in the cookies. My mom always wanted the raisins, and if she was feeling really daring, she’d want walnuts added as well. Of course I always wanted chocolate chips since I LOVE chocolate. Either way, they’re both delicious!
What I love about this recipe is you can add anything you want to the basic recipe. For the chocolate chip version, I omit the cinnamon which is in the original recipe. If you like some coconut or nuts in your oatmeal cookies, go ahead and add them! Or swap out chocolate chips or raisins for dried cranberries. Even better, try adding dried cranberries and white chocolate chips. Oh my, does that sound good!
So get baking and enjoy some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies today…just be sure to have a big glass of milk ready and waiting!
- 1 stick + 6 Tbls. butter, softened
- ¾ C. firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ C. granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ C. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2¾ C. - 3 C. Quaker Oats (I prefer the quick cooking version and use a little less than 3 cups)
- 1 12oz. pkg. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars on medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, mix well.
- Add oats and chocolate chips, mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until light golden brown (every oven is different so keep an eye on them)
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.