I really enjoy bourbon in desserts and this Bourbon Peach Ice Cream was amazing!
The ice cream base is a lightened up version of my classic vanilla ice cream with a bit of bourbon added to the mix. Then I made a peach compote with fresh peaches, brown sugar and a little bit more bourbon. I really liked the topping I used in my Bourbon Peach Crumble so I used it again here. I mixed it up and spread it on a cookie sheet and baked it. You could also just crumble up some delicious sugar cookies if you want.Print
Bourbon Peach Ice Cream
For the ice cream base:
- 4 egg yolks*
- 3 C. half & half*
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 3 Tbls. bourbon
For the peach compote
- 4 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 C. brown sugar
- 2 Tbls. bourbon
- 1 tsp. corn starch (if you think it’s too watery)
For the crunchy topping
- 1 C. flour
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. bourbon
- 1 stick butter, melted (1/2 C.)
- Make the ice cream base: In saucepan, add egg yolks and briefly whisk. Add half & half and sugar, and whisk to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat while continuing to stir until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Swipe your finger across the mixture on the back of the spoon and if the edges stay put, it’s ready. If you have a candy thermometer cook to 170º
- Strain mixture into bowl and set in ice bath for about 30 minutes to cool down (stir occasionally). Store custard base in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight to thoroughly chill.
- Make the peach compote: Add peaches, brown sugar and bourbon to saucepan. Cook over medium heat to soften the peaches and cook the mixture. If you have really ripe peaches you’ll just need a few minutes, if your peaches are firm, cook longer for them to soften. If your mixture looks too runny, add cornstarch and continue to cook until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool and store in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Make the crunchy topping: Preheat oven to 350° Combine topping ingredient toppings in bowl and stir to combine will. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in oven about 10 minutes, stir, then bake an additional 5 minutes or so. You just want the crumbs to get golden. Remove and set aside to cool. Store in plastic bag until ready to use.
- Make the ice cream: Pour custard base in ice cream maker and process according to your ice cream maker‘s instructions (see notes below if using a Ninja Creami machine)
- Pour half the churned ice cream into container. Dot with peach compote. Repeat. With knife, swirl the peach mixture through the ice cream. Top with crunchy topping. Cover and freeze until firm.
*For a richer ice cream, use 6 egg yolks, 2 C. heavy cream and 1 C. whole milk.
If you’re using a Ninja Creami, pour the custard mixture once its cooled into two pint containers and freeze overnight. Spin on ice cream setting. Transfer the ice cream to a loaf pan container and layer with the peach compote and crunchy topping. Freeze to firm up as desired.