Sweet potatoes are my favorite side dish of the Thanksgiving meal. I haven’t met a sweet potato recipe I didn’t like, especially when they have a spicy flavor profile instead of sweet. That’s why I love these Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes. They have just a touch of sweetness and a little kick of spice from the chipotle en adobo.
If you haven’t noticed already on this blog, I’m a huge fan chipotle en adobo. I love it and never tire of it’s smokey, spicy kick it adds to a dish. I’ve used it in fish tacos and lettuce wraps. The chipotle, honey, lime combination is so good, I’ve used it in a vinaigrette, on some ribs, (well the ribs don’t have the lime, but I think next time I’ll try replacing the vinegar with lime juice!).
I’ve prepared the sweet potatoes two ways: cubed and steamed and baked in the oven. Both are good, but I’ve found steaming them seems to produce a moister potato. Whichever cooking method you choose to use is fine, just please do not boil them! Sweet potatoes become waterlogged when boiled. Trust me on this one.
A word about the spice… If you’re a bit afraid of the amount of spice, just start with a little chipotle puree. You can always add more but it’s not easy to take it away!Why not try a little spicy kick to your sweet potatoes this year with these Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes? Did I mention they go really well with my favorite brined and grilled turkey?Print
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 4 Tbls. butter (vegan or regular)
- 1–2 Tbls. chipotle puree* (or 1–2 chipotle peppers and a bit of adobo sauce from the can)
- 4 Tbls. honey, agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 lime, juiced (use a little zest as well if you like)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbls. chopped pecans
- 1 Tbls. chopped cilantro
- Peel sweet potatoes and dice into even sized cubes and steam in steamer basket for 20 minutes to cook them. Do not boil them or they will get soggy. Alternatively, you can bake the sweet potatoes in the oven as you would a regular baked potato.
- Once cooked, add sweet potatoes to bowl (if baked scoop out the potato and discard the skin). Add butter, chipotle puree, honey and lime juice and mash potatoes to your desired consistency. If they seem a little dry, add a little more butter, a splash of water or you can even add some cream.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Garnish with chopped pecans and chopped cilantro.
To make chipotle puree – blend one can of chipotles en adobo in the blender. Use desired amount according to your taste preferences in recipes. Freeze the remainder in tablespoon size portions in the freezer. Use an ice cube tray or just put tablespoon size blobs on some wax paper on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, store in ziploc bag.