Don’t let the name scare you. This Cucumber Basil Martini is quite a deliciously refreshing cocktail. Think spa. Think about the cucumber water you get at the spa. See what a nice picture I just painted for you in your mind? This cocktail might just make you think you’re spending a day at the spa. I knew I liked drinks with lime and basil like the Basil Lime Martini, and of course I like drinks with vodka and Cointreau as evidenced by my Pomegranate Martini, but I really wasn’t sure I was going to like a drink with cucumber juice. Maybe because I always think of a cocktail as fruity, not vegetabley (is that a word?) unless of course it’s a Bloody Mary.
Boy was I wrong. And three of my girlfriends who stopped by for happy hour all agreed! Light and refreshing. This drink is a definite keeper for my repertoire. For a variation, try muddling some watermelon with the basil, lime and simple syrup. That’s delicious too!
I know I will be making this Cucumber Basil Martini over and over again. Maybe while playing some relaxing spa music. Now all I need is the massage! Relax and enjoy.
- 1 English cucumber
- 10 basil leaves
- ½ measure simple syrup (or 1-2 tsp. sugar)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 measures vodka
- 1 measure Cointreau (or Triple Sec)
- 3 measures cucumber juice
- To make the cucumber water
- Peel cucumber, cut in chunks and process in food processor or blender until pureed. Pour into fine sieve set over a bowl to drain juice. Use a wooden spoon to press on the solids to get as much liquid out as possible. Toss the solids and save the juice.
- To make the cocktail
- Add ice to cocktail shaker. Add basil, simple syrup or sugar and lime juice. Shake well. Add vodka, Cointreau, and cucumber juice. Shake well again. Strain into martini glass. Garnish with cucumber slice