Here’s a Grilled Pineapple with Ice Cream, Rum Sauce and Toasted Coconut dessert that will make you dream of a tropical vacation!
Have you ever grilled fruit? It’s delicious! I like to grill peaches and plums and this was the first time I tried grilling pineapple. For this dessert, I first made a simple rum sauce with some rum, brown sugar, vanilla and butter. Then I let the pineapple slices sit in it for a bit before grilling them. When you’re ready for dessert, put the slices of pineapple on the grill for a few minutes on each side to get some nice grill marks and heat it up a bit. To serve, I put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, drizzled some more rum sauce and topped with toasted coconut and a cherry.
I enjoyed this best when the pineapple was still a bit warm, but you can grill the pineapple earlier if you wish and serve it when you’re ready for dessert.Print
Grilled Pineapple with Ice Cream, Rum Sauce and Toasted Coconut
- 1 pineapple, trimmed, cored and sliced in rings
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 C. sweetened coconut, toasted
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 C. dark rum
- 1/2 C. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbls. butter
- Prepare pineapple: trim outside of pineapple off, core and slice into rings.
- Toast coconut: Place coconut in large skillet and toast over medium-medium high heat until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Prepare rum sauce: In small saucepan, bring rum and brown sugar to boil, then reduce heat and simmer to reduce. Add vanilla and butter. Let cool.
- Cook and assemble: Brush pineapple slices with rum sauce. Grill pineapple slices to heat and obtain nice looking grill marks. To serve, place one pineapple slice on plate. Top with scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzle rum sauce over ice cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Top with a cherry, if desired.