Here’s another fantastic bundt cake recipe that starts with a boxed cake mix. This Lemon Drop Bundt Cake is super moist with a mild lemon flavor.
My sister-in-law asked me how she could turn my Black Russian Cake (a party favorite) into a Lemon Drop Bundt Cake perhaps by swapping out the liquor. Sounded good to me so I gave it a try! While it doesn’t taste exactly like my lemon drop martinis, this cake has a nice lemon flavor and deliciously dense and moist crumb. I think you could make it extra lemony by using a lemon cake mix instead of yellow cake mix but I didn’t try that.Print
Lemon Drop Bundt Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (w/o pudding if you can find it)*
- 6 oz. box instant lemon pudding
- 1/3 C. sugar
- 1 C. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 C. water
- 1/4 C. vodka
- 1/4 C. Limoncello
FOR THE LIMONCELLO GLAZE:
- 1/2 C. powdered sugar (use more if you want a thicker glaze)
- 1/4 C. Limoncello
Coarse sugar, sliced lemons, mint leaves
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with Pam or your preferred method of greasing a cake pan. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with hand mixer for about 2 – 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter in prepared bundt pan. Bake 45 minutes. Let cool about 10-15 minutes, then invert on serving platter. Drizzle glaze on top of warm cake. Then, if you’re like me, you’ll drizzle more glaze on top again when it has cooled completely.
TO MAKE GLAZE:
- Blend together powdered sugar and limoncello to make a glaze. Pour over warm cake. Sprinkle with coarse sugar (reminds me of a Lemon Drop martini rim) and top with sliced sliced lemons and mint if you want to make it look pretty.
*Standard cake mixes have fewer ounces than they did in the past. Lately I’ve been using Betty Crocker’s Betty’s Original Recipe Scratch Cake Mix – Golden Yellow. It is 19.2 oz. and works wonderfully in this recipe.
Alternatively, you can buy two boxes of cake mix and add 6 Tbls. of additional cake mix to increase the amount.
Another alternative, make a cake mix upsizer by combining 1 1/2 C. flour, 1 C. sugar, 2. tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. baking soda. Use 6 Tbls. to boxed cake mix. Store remaining upsizer mixture in jar.