Traditional Tzatziki sauce is not plant based so today I made a non-dairy version Tzatziki Sauce simply by replacing Greek yogurt with non-dairy yogurt. Great success! Of course, you can always use regular Greek yogurt if you don’t follow a plant based diet…that’s the only difference in this recipe.
This recipe calls for salting the cucumbers to draw out the excess water which I like to do since cucumbers contain a lot of water. I suppose you could skip this step if you want but to be honest I’ve never tried that!
Tzatziki sauce is really easy to make and delicious on so many things. Most commonly eaten alongside fresh pita or with gyros, kebabs, grilled meats and other Greek dishes.Print
For the Tzatziki:
- 1 cup plain non-dairy yogurt (or Greek yogurt, if desired)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- Salt for salting cucumbers
- 1 Tbls. chopped fresh dill
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Peel cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise and scrape out seed slice them and place in colander. Sprinkle with salt and let it sit for about half hour to draw out excess water. Rinse cucumbers, then pat dry.
- Add cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice, dill, and a few grinds of black pepper to food processor or blender. Blend well. Combine cucumber mixture and yogurt in small bowl.
- Refrigerate sauce for a couple hours to allow the flavors to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.