Here’s a Vegan Enchilada Soup that has all the wonderful flavors of enchiladas in soup form!
I’ve been going through old recipes and “veganizing” them with great success! With only a few simple substitutions I turned my delicious Chicken Enchilada Soup into a vegan version that’s equally tasty! The obvious swaps were using a vegan no-chicken broth (could also use vegetable broth) to replace chicken broth and vegan cheeses. Use regular cheese if that’s on your eating plan. To replace the chicken I used plant based chick’n strips today, but soy curls (my favorite) would be a perfect substitution as well. Or…leave it out altogether and perhaps add some sweet potato or more vegetables. So many alternatives!
Eating a healthy plant based diet is really pretty easy and this Vegan Enchilada Soup is a delicious example!Print
Vegan Enchilada Soup
- 1 pkg. vegan chicken strips (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 C. no-chicken broth (I used this)
- 1 14.5oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 C. frozen corn (or canned corn, drained)
- 3 Tbls. masa flour
- 1/4 C. vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder (opt., add if you want it a bit spicier)
- salt & pepper
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- Avocado, diced
- In soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and bell peppers, a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat until they soften, then add garlic and cook about a minute or so more.
- Add broth, tomatoes with their juice, and enchilada sauce, bring to boil.
- In small bowl or cup add masa flour, then slowly add water while stirring, to get a mixture that’s thick but still pours, like a thick salad dressing. Slowly pour masa mixture into soup while whisking to combine. Lower heat and simmer soup for flavors to combine and soup thicken a bit.
- Add black beans, corn, vegan chicken strips and cream cheese. Stir to combine and let the cream cheese melt.
- Taste soup, adjust seasoning and add chipotle chili powder if you want more spice (or your favorite chili powder).
- Top soup with desired toppings.